Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Polaris Sportsman 500 HO - shift is sticking - what should I look for?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

TipDown!
TipDown!
Level: General User
1/31/12 10:22 AM CST
Hey guys, I am not very knowledgable about my ATV so I thought I would come on here and see if anyone else has had this problem. When I shift into any gear (Reverse, High or Low) it is sticking (honestly stuck) and I really have to "hammer" on the shifter knob to make it move. Any help on how/what I should be looking at is greatly appreciated. You can PM if you want or share on the board.

Thanks in advance,

TipDown! Cool

[This post was last edited on 1/31/12 at 2:39 PM]
usaf vet
See Profile
2/13/12 9:14 AM CST
I own three polaris sportsmans, the one we use for ice fishing is exposed to more road salt that the other two. It had the same problem. The right rear side of the trans where the shift linkage connects to the side of the case is a shaft that goes through a cover and to the transmission. This shaft gets bound in the hole in the cover plate. there is an "o" ring that is supposed to keep moisture out. But it doesn't stop the steel shaft from corroding to the aluminum cover plate. You need to disassemble, clean the corrosion, relube, and reassemble. Failure to do this can result in transmission damage as the gears won't be meshed properly and grinding can occur. If you contact me i can talk you through most of the procedure.

USAF

[This post was last edited on 2/13/12 at 9:17 AM]
30''walters
See Profile
2/11/12 11:32 AM CST
pull off lake and repair in summer

TipDown!
TipDown!
2/8/12 9:59 AM CST
Here's the deal: the a-hole that I bought it from didn't bother to tell me the whole truth about his atv. I asked all the right questions before I bought it used, but it is pretty hard to see inside of a machine that has been "swamped" many times. So here is the fix - linkage arms were shot, clutch needed to be shimmed and bushings needed to be replaced. Note to self: buyer beware on used machines.

TipDown! Cool

Got Shnitz?
Got Shnitz?
2/1/12 9:35 PM CST
My Polars sometimes get snow packed around the shift linkage and it gets stuck (frozen) in a gear. gs

TipDown!
TipDown!
2/1/12 8:06 PM CST
The atv runs just fine, and the rpm's seem like they always have. Truly once it is in gear, it is "in gear" and doesn't want to be shifted. It feels stuck and unless I tap it out of gear it won't shift. What else do you have for me? Thanks for your help so far,

TipDown! Cool

jlstrese
jlstrese
2/1/12 12:44 PM CST
How are the RPM if they are to high its hard to shift

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook